Tuesday, May 8, 2012

[Living] Living Comfortably in Daegu (2)

1.    Internet & Cable TV


High-speed internet service can be available in most households. Each telecommunication company has its own products and prices, and thus it is advised to subscribe to a particular internet package only after comparing all detailed services. In case you have some difficulties applying for an internet service, you may also use high speed internet service at one of the numerous PC Bangs(PC Rooms), which are open 24 hours.

*Information for subscription
SK브로드밴드 / SKBroadband 106 www.skbroadband.com
KT올레 / KT Olleh 100 www.olleh.com
LG유플러스 / LG U+ 1644-7000 home.uplus.co.kr

Cable TV

In Korea, there are various types of television channels, such as cable TV, local cable TV, and satellite TV, other than the public TV. Recently, some companies started to offer a high-speed internet service, along with their cable TV service. If you subscribe to the cable TV and internet service combined, you will be able to get both services at a lower price.

*Subscription information
Jung-gu / Nam-gu:
TCN Daegu Cable 053-656-5555
Qrix Daegu Communication Inc. 070-8177-0014
HCN Geumho Broadcasting 070-8100-6000
CMB Daegu Suseong Broadcasting 053-218-2000
Dalseo-gu /Dalseong-gun:
Korea Cable TV Pureun Broadcasting 053-551-2000
TCN Daegu Cable Broadcasting 053-527-8000(Dalseo), 053-617-1100 (Dalseong)
Korea Cable TV Seodaegu Broadcasting 053-567-8000
Qrix Daegu Communication Inc. 070-8177-0014
CMB Daegu Dongbu Broadcasting 1544-3434

Satellite TV

In order to watch satellite broadcasting channels, you must install a set of satellite broadcasting reception devices (dishes). The installation fee varies depending on installation companies and your choices of programs.

*Information for subscription
Sky Life 1588-8665 / Korean
Total Satellite System 02-706-1237 / Korean and international satellite broadcastings

2.    Disposal of Waste

General home and office waste should be put into municipality issued plastic bags and placed at collection sites after 8pm on scheduled dates to be picked up by the garbage collectors. Since the daily trash, food waste, and recyclables are separately collected, and the collection days are all different according to districts, you need to check the days before you dispose of wastes. Also, each district uses different type garbage bags, so please use the proper one.

General type of trash

General types of trash should be contained in an officially designated plastic trash bag to be thrown away. This plastic trash bag can be purchased at supermarkets, marts, or discount shops in your neighborhood. Each district has its own distinct trash bag, and thus you need to check before you buy it. Bags are sized according to their capacity: 5, 10, 20, 30, 50, 75, or 100 liters.

Food waste

Food waste should be drained of all fluids. Plastic bags, shells, toothpicks, wooden chopsticks, animal bones, plastics, metal goods, bottles, papers, eggshells, etc. should not be mixed in with food waste


The standard waste bags are not necessary when disposing of recyclables. These recyclable wastes are collected separately.

Large-sized tra

For such large-sized trash as the bed, wardrobe, drawers, sofa, kitchen table, desk, TV, air conditioner, and washing machine, you need to report to the Community Center to get a sticker. You need to attach the sticker on the large-sized trash before you take out the trash. In case that you throw the trash away without any proper procedures, you will be charged a fine, and thus you should be careful with this.

3.    Tax & Income Tax Deductions

Tax payment

A notice for payment of tax is delivered to each taxpayer, to be paid at a bank no later than the due date given. If the taxpayer does not agree with the tax levied upon him/her, he/she can file an adjustment application to the taxation authority.

Dates of payment of major taxes

Property tax: June 16~June 30 (base month for taxation: May 1)
Aggregate land tax: October 16∼31(base month for taxation: June 1)
Inheritance tax: August 16∼31 (base month for taxation: August 1)
Automobile tax: June 16∼30 / December 16∼30(base month for taxation: June 1 / December 1)
License tax: June 16∼30 / December 16∼30(base month for taxation: June 1)

Income tax deduction through the year-end settlement

Those with wage and salary income are eligible for this system, except day workers. You should submit the application for income tax deduction and the necessary documents, such as the medical expenses, educational expenses, cash receipts, credit card receipts, by the end of January or the beginning of February to the company you work for. These necessary documents can be obtained through the website of the National Tax Service at www.yesone.go.kr.
Money spend abroad is not eligible for the income tax deduction. However, if educational expenses abroad conform to Article 5 and 15 of the special regulation about studying abroad, they are eligible for an income tax deduction.

Income tax deduction for international people

-For international people, 15% of the single tax rate for total earned income including non-taxable income can be available.
- Native-speaking teachers or professors from the countries with tax exemption rules are eligible for tax exemption for two years for lecture or research-related income.
- International engineers who are under an engineering technology contract or who work for a certain research institute are eligible for a 50% tax deduction of the calculated tax for the earned income for two years.

Income tax deduction counseling service for international people

For international people who are not fluent in Korean, a tax counseling service can be available.
- Internet: English website of the National Tax Service (www.nts.go.kr/eng)
- Call center for international people: 1588-0560, dial 126 for tax affairs counseling
- Information: regional tax services

4.    Banking

Working hours

Monday~Friday: 9am~4pm
Before or after working hours: ATM available

Opening of bank account

Necessary documents: ID card (passport, alien registration card, or identification card, seal, money)
Passwords should be kept personal for security reasons.

Deposit & withdrawal with ATM

Through Automated Teller Machines, you can deposit or withdraw money with your ATM cash card or bank book. Fees are charged when ATMs are used before or after bank working hours, or if you use an ATM from other banks. Also, be aware that bank ATMs are not open 24 hours.

Utility bills

Recently, some banks have stopped handling the payment of utility bills at the counter. However, you will be able to use the utility bill deposit machine at all banks, or you can pay utility bills at any post office. Still, it is more convenient to arrange for automatic withdrawals from your bank account on a certain day each month.

Issuance of credit card

International people, who have F-4 or F-5 visa types and work for a company, or who have property, such as real estate, are eligible for credit cards. Each credit card company has its own system, but if you submit your alien registration card and other necessary documents to prove your income and residence in Korea, the credit card company will examine the documents and decide the issuance of credit card. For more details, please contact credit card companies individually.

*Internet banking & tele-banking
With internet banking, you can check balances and transfer money on internet. With an official certificate, issued on-line by the Korea Financial Telecommunications & Clearings Institute, and a secret pass card issued by your bank, you can make use of this internet banking service. For tele-banking, you can conduct banking by telephone, secured with a password and code numbers. You can apply for these services at your bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment