Friday, October 4, 2013

[Bar/Press articles] Daegu Jeng-iy Bar

As I walked down the alley, passing a large Jimmy Hendrix poster, I could hear the far-off muffled screeches of sprawling guitar solos and heavy bass-lines – “Where am I?” I asked myself. Upon entry my initial presumptions are confirmed: soaring guitar sounds sift through the doors, instantly filling the atmosphere with a retro 70s vibe. This is not a place for the ardent K-pop fan.


Located between Jungangno and Banwoldang station – just opposite Yannyeongsi bus station – lies this clandestine little bar, Jeng-iy, amiably known as 'The Jimmy Hendrix Bar'.

There aren't many places in Daegu where you can go for a few drinks that – at some point, anyway – won't blast omnipresent K-pop through the speakers. At first it felt a little selcouth, like I had been transported to another dimension. I realised how much I had missed hanging out with friends whilst not being bombarded by explicit sexual innuendo exclamations such as, 'Give it to me! Give it to me!' being the most egregious of them all. (On a side note, I find it especially disturbing that my 10-year-old female students will merrily sing along to this in class, oblivious to its meaning.)


The room itself is dark; deftly lit by candles and a few coloured lights. There approximately fifteen to twenty tables, each seating four people. There is also a stage area which regularly features live music from local bands. On the October 12th (next Saturday), there will be a variety of bands playing from 4pm. Admission fees are 5,000 won and the money will be donated to KAPS, Daegu’s Time to Give, and Liberty In North Korea Daegu.



This is far from being in the mould of the usual homogeneous ho-hum of the Thursday Party scene, and you we can all breathe a sigh of relief for that.

Open to close: 18:00 ~ 04:00
Admission fee: 5,000won





6 comments:

  1. Great choice for an article and great article itself! I was just there last night for a friend's gig. Cozy place, noisy bands. Loved the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) and I'm also happy to hear that you had a great time in the Jeng-iy bar.

      Delete
    2. ok... i really have to go to this bar.. the only bar i go to in Daegu is Commune's..

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you'll love this bar! :-)

      Delete
    4. I was there last Saturday night.. 3-4 bands played.. loved the decor.. reminded me of the famous CBGB's... plus there were AC/DC action figures at the bar too!!!

      Delete
    5. Glad to hear that you had a great time :-)

      Delete