Friday, October 25, 2013

[Tour] Daegu Walking tour

Site of Samsung Trading Company
Samsung initiated its business at this site in 1938. At first, it was originally a noodle factory with a small wooden building. Its brand name was ‘Star Noodle’ and the trademark was a three stars-pattern (Samsung means three stars). As a site of the mother company of worldwide enterprise Samsung, it became a memorial place, even though its building was torn down in 1997. Located in Ingyo-dong, Jung-gu.

Byung-chull Lee’s Old House
Byung-chull Lee(1910~1987), the establisher of Samsung, lived here with his family when they moved to Daegu. His son, Kun-hee Lee, the current president of Samsung, spent his early childhood in this house. Nowadays, a family of a Samsung employee is staying here to manage the house. Located in Ingyo-dong. Jung-gu.

Dongsan Missionary Houses
Dongsan is sacred place for the Christian community in Daegu. The missionaries from the West settled in this place by building their residence. At the same time, they started their residence. At the same time, they started their missionary activities by establishing churches, schools, hospitals, and orphanages. Today, there are 3 houses (Chamness’s, Blair’s, and Switzer’s houses) left that have been changed to museums with modern historical materials. Also, this place is popular for filming movies because of its beautiful scenery.

Independence Movement Road
The passage that goes across the hill of Dongsan Medical Center to the 90 stairway was named 3.1 Independence Movement Road as a memorial to the independent movement against Japanese colonial rule. The hill was the starting point of the march which took place on March 1st, 1919.

Gyesan Cathedral
Previously, it was a cross-shaped wooden building of traditional Korean style built in 1899 after Joseon-France agreement that allowed western missionaries activities. The current figure was designed by the French priest, Paul Rober Achill and completed in 1902. It is the third Gothic styled cathedral in Korea. Located in Gyesan-dong, Jung-gu.

Old residence of Sang-hwa Lee
Sang-hwa Lee is a poet who set up a milestone for Korean modern poems during the Japanese colonial period. Especially, his poems, based on nationalism and patriotism, are evaluated as valuable works in entire Korean literature. This old house where Lee lived from 1936 to 1943 in his last years became not only a historic but also a touristic site.

Old Residence of Sang-don Seo
This house restored from the old house of Sang-don Seo, who campaigned to pay off debts owed to Japan by collecting money from each citizen in 1907. He was a dedicated Catholic, and donated land for Gyesan Cathedral and St. Justino seminary.

Jeil Church
The first Presbyterian Church in Daegu-Gyeongbuk province was built by the missionaries from America in 1890s. The current figure was completed in 1933. This place was also where Dr. Woodbridge O. Johnson, a medical missionary, established Jejungwon(the predecessor of Dongsan Medical Center), the first western hospital in Daegu. Now, the building of church is changed to the missionary memorial hall.

Oriental Medicine Market Street

The 350 years old, an 800 meters long oriental medicine market street is the biggest one in Korea with 350 stores. This market street started in 1658 during Joseon dynasty by the order from the king, Hyojong when an epidemic was national wide. Also, there are several programs to experience oriental medicine by foot baths and drinking traditional tea. Located on Namseong-ro, Jung-gu.

No comments:

Post a Comment