Thursday, April 30, 2015

Battle of the Buffets - Ashley American Grill


Hungry? Well, maybe not just “hungry.” More like, HANGRY? You should consider a massive buffet meal.


Daegu has a few options for gluttonous outings. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be sharing the pros and cons of each. Henceforth, let this be known as “Battle of the Buffets.”

******************

The lower end of our buffet-spectrum is the Ashley American Grill. At just 19,900 won per person, this is a great deal if you’re looking for something to fill you up for a lower cost. For an additional 3,000 won, you can add bottomless wine to your meal. (Did you read that? Yes. YAS. I said BOTTOMLESS WINE, dude.) 


The restaurant offers two reds and two whites, though none are of any high quality. But, as you may know, wine buzzed is the best buzzed; and the barrels at Ashley’s will get the job done.

If you’re looking for somewhere to hang out for two hours and stuff your face with some pretty decent food and desserts, I would highly recommend Ashley’s. Ashley’s has a much more extensive offering of entrées and sides than VIPs had; there are more desserts to choose from and more hot dishes to check out.

Between the two locales our group has visited so far, I’m more keen to get myself back to Ashley’s for the free-flowing, cheap wine and better buffet offering.




But don’t take my word for it. In order to get a good idea of how to share this with you, I asked my friends to share their thoughts again on this visit. Here’s the quick breakdown on our visit to Ashley American Grill.



***************** 


Name:Caitlin L.

What was your favorite buffet dish?
I liked the pizzas and the lemon jelly [dessert] thing.

Bottomless wine. Yes or no?
Yes.

Rate your overall experience – scale of 1-5 (5 being high).
A 3.5. The [special seasonal offering] crepe was disappointing, as were the meat dishes.

Would you recommend this restaurant to friends?
If the want a Korean-American fusion food experience, yeah.

Anything you’d like to add?
Bottomless wine is the best, though that certainly wasn't the best quality wine. 



Name:Jaclyn D.

What was your favorite buffet dish?
I liked the smoked salmon and mango slices.

Bottomless wine. Yes or no?
For others, yes! For me, no. I think it’s a great idea, though.

Rate your overall experience – scale of 1-5 (5 being high).
4 out of 5. Ashley's was great- decor, view, atmosphere, food! And wait staff etc..

Would you recommend this restaurant to friends?
Yes, definitely. It was worth the trek up the hill [to this location].

Anything you’d like to add?
Desserts were awesome - all trillion of them that I sampled.


Name:Shea L.

What was your favorite buffet dish?
Hard to decide but I enjoyed the ddukbokki carbonara a lot.

Bottomless wine. Yes or no?
Yes.

Rate your overall experience – scale of 1-5 (5 being high).
I give Ashley a 4 out of 5.

Would you recommend this restaurant to friends?
Yes, I would!

Anything you’d like to add?
The buffet was really good with a lot of variety, which was nice. There’s something for everyone.



Name:Shannon I.

What was your favorite buffet dish?
My favorite was the fruit selection. I love that dragon fruit is always available. Other than that, almost everything from the meat area is good, too.

Bottomless wine. Yes or no?
Not for me; I don’t drink.

Rate your overall experience – scale of 1-5 (5 being high).
Maybe a 4 out of 5.Considering, the staff brought us a new crepe [after our first one was sad-looking], I'd say my normally  good experience was made even better.

Would you recommend this restaurant to friends?
Yes, I would!

Anything you’d like to add?
Nope. That’s it.


*****************

So, in Part 2 of our series, it looks like everyone would likely choose Ashley Grill over VIPs… You’ll have to try both and decide for yourself! Check out one of their many locations in town:

Inside Donga Department Store downtown

On the subway: Take the green line to Banwoldang Station. Walk to the Donga store entrance in the subway station and take the elevator or escalators up to the Ashley Grill floor.

Tower 83 at E-World
This is where our group visited and I highly recommend it!

On the subway: Take the green line to Duryu Park Station and take the E-World exit (Exit 15). You can either take a taxi and ask them to take you to Tower 83 (also Woobang Tower or Daegu Tower) or walk to E-world. If walking, stay to the left and walk around what seems like the back of the park, toward the car park. From here, you’ll need to trek up the very steep hill to get to the tower – no need to pay park admission to get there!

1 comment:

  1. Get all the best alcoholic drinks on Duty Free Depot!

    All the highest quality brand name beverages for unbeatable low prices.

    ReplyDelete