Pages

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Mr. Daegu Bodybuilding Contest and Ms. Fitness Contest at Chilgok

Enjoy the show!
Mr. Daegu Bodybuilding Contest



It was a pleasant, sunny Sunday and I was all set to attend a bodybuilding contest. This was my first ever experience with a bodybuilding competition and it was happening in Daegu. I wasn’t sure what to expect, however I was excited since my brother-in-law was competing.

I got into my car with my family and drove off to Chilgok. It took us about 35 minutes to get there from where we live. I would suggest arriving early because the parking situation was horrid. The entire car park was jammed packed, but luckily I was able to find.




We moved into the lobby and got our wrist strap on. After finding a decent place to eat with a view, I sat there thinking, “Oh man have I gained weight?” Thoughts like this ran through my head. Honestly speaking, when you are at this kind of event you cannot help but look at yourself.

Anyway, I was able to see the amazing transformation my brother-in-law has gone through. Around 2014 he was overweight, and very out of shape. As of 2017, he is ripped and his body fat has reduced dramatically.




He came onto the stage and I was in shock. This guy was built like a house. Knowing his past and his story, I felt inspired. All I could do was cheer for him from the back. Then the judges requested they strikes poses. Clapping and cheering, everybody was able catch a glimpse of this unique talent.





I waited around for it to end, and afterwards we moved to the back and gave my brother-in-law some food. I shook his hand, and congratulated him. To have a brother-in-law partaking at this level of competition is a proud moment for me.

Being from England, we always hear of these bodybuilders and their contests. But I never thought I would attend, or have a family member partake in one. I am still proud of my brother-in-law’s effort and I hope to interview him on behalf of Daegu City. Irrespective of factors outside my control, I was able to enjoy the atmosphere of the event. It seems as though each university has a dedicated team to train and compete in this contest.

I walked around outside for a while, and then everybody else joined in. We took photos as if he had already won. It was an awesome time, since it was my brother-in-law’s first competition. He is the national champion for his age in Korean wrestling. But,by no means is he a professional athlete. As we were outside we took a few photos. Whilst there, I had time to reflect and decide that I should get into shape, too. However, time would need to be considered as well as wise food choices.  



I walked backed, and hung around for another hour or so. The winners were called, and he won 2nd place.  I was impressed, since he is not a professional, and had only been training for approximately 7 months.

I’d recommend anybody new or experienced to Daegu to go check out this event in 2018. What I have learnt is that anything is possible. If you saw my brother-in-law 4 years ago and today, you would see two completely different people. I hope to write an article dedicated to him. My take away from this event is to get there early (super early) and enjoy the show. I have also considered changing my eating habits, and have a sudden appreciation for this type of sport.

I dedicate this quote by Arnold Schwarzenegger for my brother-in-law


“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths.
When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”


No comments:

Post a Comment